This procedure applies to N53 series engines installed in F series vehicles in the case when the vehicle is equipped with an OEM NOx sensor, and the NOx system is in working condition.
- Start new session in ISTA D/+, perform the identification of vehicle and a test:
2. open menu Vehicle management:
3. open menu Service function:
4. open sub-menu Power train, press Start search:
5. open sub-menu Engine Electronics:
6. open sub-menu Adjustment functions:
7. Select Delete adaptations/variants
8. Select Delete engine adaptation value, press Display
9. Select Reset adaptation values and versions (encoding)
Follow instructions on the screen.
Follow the instructions very carefully! If deleting of adaptations was successful, you will see notice “Adaptation values and taught versions were reset”. If ISTA D/+ does not displays notice “Adaptation values and taught versions were reset” after the attempt to delete the adaptations, repeat the procedure once again.
Required: INPA for F series; MSD87 loader for N54, version 3.700
10. Connect the data cable or iCOM to the car, turn on INPA, choose MSD87 for N54
11. open Rough run menu ../F5/F7. Learnbit has to be uncolored. If Learnbit is colored (black), repeat this service procedure from the beginning.
Create the flywheel adaptations:
12. turn on the engine, drive with a car with speed 100 .. 120km/h on even road
Attention: the car may run unevenly! If EML (check engine) symbol appears on KOMBI and increased/incorrect idle is observed:
- turn off the engine; turn on the ignition;
- slowly press and release the accelerator pedal three times;
- start the engine;
13. shift to the 4-th gear
14. slow down the car with an engine, not pressing the brake pedal, till the INPA menu learnbit becomes colored (black)
15. if the learnbit is not colored until when the sped drops to 40 .. 50km/h, repeat steps 12 .. 14
When the flywheel adaptations are created (learnbit is colored)
16. stop the car, switch off and on the engine
17. leave the car in idle for 3 .. 5 minutes
18. drive with a car with a speed of 50 .. 90km/h for 3 .. 5 minutes
19. repeat steps 17 and 18 for 3 .. 5 times
20. Check the initial adaptations:
a) open ../F5/F6
b) multiplicative type adaptations should be within -24 .. +24 % range and different from 0.00;
c) offset type adaptations should be within -1.49 .. + 1.49 mg/stk range and different from 0.00.
-1.50 mg/stk: problems with leaking injectors;
+1.50 mg/stk: problems with air-tightness of the intake manifold.
21. Recheck error message memory, clear if necessary.
22. Next few times, when starting the cold engine:
a) allow the engine to run idle at least for 5 minutes;
b) drive with longer driving sessions with even RPM and torque when possible.
With this, the creating of initial adaptations can be considered as complete.